Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Come by here


Next Monday marks the end of an era. The comal house era. Andrea, Ali, Stacey, Sam, Aspen, and Ken have all graced the comal house with their residential greatness. You could even say I did for all the times I visited. The comal house will probably forever be embeddded in everyone's memories. So many great times were had there. More than I'm even aware of I'm sure. But, the ones I was around for and remember are certainly worth remembering.

One last hurrah was had last weekend. A bid farewell. The encore of comal house parties, and a true encore at that. And naturally, as things finally started winding down in the wee hours, the guitars appeared. And the kumbaya began. Song after song we sat around. It was one of those moments that was timeless because it was so enjoyable.

When I was looking at this photo last night I decided to lookup the origin of Kumbaya. What did it mean anyway? And what I found couldn't have been more perfect. The song Kumbaya has southern roots, and was originally sung in a creole dialect called "Gullah". Kumbaya, or "come by yah" really boils down to "come by here." Yes, come by here. Now if that wasn't the comal house motto, then I don't know what was. Everyone was always welcome. Long live the memories.

No comments: