Monday, July 27, 2009

The city of bridges


This is Chicago from Lake Michigan. I was able to take this panoramic photograph this weekend while I was there for a work trip. At about 4pm we finished up with meetings and a group of us bought tickets to the architectural river boat tour. During the tour they take you out on to Lake Michigan, where I was able to snap this. Actually this is about four photos spliced together in photoshop.


Chicago is an amazing town. I knew it would be from everything I learned in school and from all I'd heard from people who have been or lived there. But, seeing it in person really drove it home that it's a great city. This weekend was only a tease, so I need to plan a return soon.


On the boat tour we learned many facts about Chicago, including its many nicknames. Of course everyone knows the windy city nickname, but what about the city of bridges. A river runs right through the heart of downtown Chicago, so there are bridges that span the river all along it. Even the elevated train crosses the river at some points.

1 comment:

John Dias said...

Hey, we took that tour - it was awesome. The favorite part for Nick and Jay was when they pointed out the building that Ferris Buhler's dad worked in... they had watched the movie just a couple weeks before. Yeah, I know, hokey but fun!