Wednesday, November 18, 2009

There's a spirit can ne'er be told


Ten years ago today, at 2:42am, the Texas A&M University Bonfire fell. With it, fell twelve of our Aggies. It was a tragic story followed by controversy and cancellation. Many pleaded Bonfire should come back in honor of those twelve. And, many pleaded for the very same reason that it shouldn't. I never had the chance to see Bonfire, and I wasn't even an official Aggie when the stack collapsed. One year I went to the off-campus Bonfire, but I knew, just as everyone else did, that it just wasn't the same, not even close. For my generation, the days before the Texas game, when Bonfire used to burn, became a time of rememberance and reverance - a different kind of spirit was on display. And, after the Bonfire memorial was built in 2004 we used to go out at 2:42am on November 18th and quietly stand next to each other while we remembered those we had lost.


The twelve we lost that day will never be forgotten, their spirit lives on very strong in the hearts of very many. Texas A&M is very special for many, many reasons - most of which I wouldn't be able to rightfully explain. But, to me, our biggest and best tradition is remembering each other - keeping each other's spirit alive. No other school remembers each other with as much care and passion as we do.

No comments: