Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thunderbird


The Thunderbird Motel is in Marfa, Texas. I've told you a bit about Marfa. It's a twilighty place run by a bunch of old hippies. This motel was actually renovated several years back by a well known Texas design firm, Lake Flato. To me it's Las Vegas vibe meets small New York lofts. But, it's well done and it's where we stayed when we visited a couple years ago. I obviously love the sign. I've seen photos of this sign by other photographers that are quite a bit better though. I took this photo when they sun had already gone down, but one of the best I've seen of it was when the sun was still setting and the sign lamps had just come on. That photo has lots of pinks and greens and oranges in background behind the blue sign. Maybe I'll have to go back and try again.

No comments: