Monday, April 12, 2010

Long live the Radio Flyer


It's been awhile since I took this photo. I was volunteer shooting at an event for a local hospital when I captured it. This photo really makes me smile. Maybe because it is the epitome of a Radio Flyer. What is it about a red wagon that gets kids so excited? I remember playing in Radio Flyers as a kid, and I'm sure most people have a memory or two that involves one. The classic red wagon has been around since 1917, the first steel one, named the Radio Flyer, was born in 1930. Apparently, thanks to wikipedia for all of this information, Antonio Pasin the inventor of the Radio Flyer named it based on his fascination with the invention of radio and flight. Pasin probably had no clue when he created the wagon what a phenomenon it would become. These days you see all kinds of Radio Flyer wagons, but they still make the classic metal one, and if you're in the market it's Model 18. It is, without a doubt, a staple of American history.

No comments: