Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sprouting Grass Moon


Thanks to a tip from Scott I was able to take this photo of last night's full moon. I had no clue we were even near a full moon. So I clipped in my big kuhuna lens (the 70 - 300mm) and grabbed my tripod. This shot was taken at 300mm, or super-zoomed in. And, I'll be honest with you, I cropped it just a tad to get some of the black dead space out of the shot, but really not much at all.


After a little wikipedia-ing, I discovered that each full moon has a name, and there are right about 12 full moons a year, because they are 29.53 days apart. This months moon is named the "Egg Moon" in english. Other common names for this month's full moon are Sprouting Grass Moon, Fish Moon, Seed Moon, Waking Moon. Sprouting Grass Moon is by far the best name for this moon, if you ask me.


It seems each months names are associated with the season. April's names are all about renewal it seems. September's full moon name is Harvest Moon, and one of December's names is Frost Moon. July just might be my favorite of them all though, Thunder Moon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was it just me, or was this thing extra bright. It illuminated my whole apartment last night while I was trying to go to sleep.