Thursday, May 13, 2010

8 track heaven


Speaking of music boxes, how about these classics? I've never owned an 8 track, I'm from the records-forward generation. But, I've heard plenty of stories about these guys. Mainly how the deck would get caught in the player and the tape would string out and lay to rest a good album.

I took this photo several months back when we stumbled upon an exhibit at a small gallery in Deep Ellum. The exhibiting artist was actually presenting his installation when we walked in. Imagine a room lined wall to wall with 8 tracks just like this. This guy was fanatical about his 8 tracks. They were like his babies. I found some I liked and snapped this shot. He had some serious classics in his collection, including as you see in the photo, Bob Dylan. And, in case you're wondering, my favorite Bob Dylan song is "Boots of Spanish Leather". It's a beautiful song and the lyrics are sweet. That song has the sound I hoped his son Jakob Dylan (from one of my favorites, the Wallflowers) could accomplish when he went solo. Unfortunately for Jakob, Bob Dylan is a tough act to follow, even if you have his blood in you.

1 comment:

Ashley Dias said...

From mom:

My first 8 track tape was Jimmy Buffett’s “Living and Dying in 3/4 Time”. But, I think you already knew that. I had a love/hate relationship with the 8 track tape. Because of the very reason you mentioned.

Boy, you brought back some memories with that post.