Monday, March 22, 2010

Star trails, New Mexico style


If you haven't noticed yet, I love to take star trails photographs. To me, it's a great way to remember a place. And, if you are able to take a star trails photograph where you are, then chances are that place is worth remembering - one of those places that makes you breathe a little deeper.


That is absolutely the case for this photograph. This star trails shot was born in Ruidoso, New Mexico at the Hensley cabin. A crew of us went up there to ski and relax (which we did quite well, I might add). Our last night was fairly clear, so I set up my camera on a tree stump behind the cabin and let the shot run for 26 minutes, facing straight up to the sky. I joked with Shae that this was the most comfortable star trails shot I have ever taken. After opening the shutter I went back inside the cabin and enjoyed the fire and good company (Usually, for a shot like this, I'm huddled up next to the camera in the dark and cold air.)


The trees in the foreground are a nice treat, and it's almost as if that tree stump was meant to be the tripod to this shot. I'm guessing that is a cloud in the right side of the shot, which I didn't see before starting the shot, since it was so dark out. Or, it could have been several small, light clouds, or simply too much light pollution coming from the moon that was off to the right. The moon was approaching its first quarter and put out a fair amount of light pollution that was captured in the shot - which I was thankfully able to reduce in photoshop. This one turned out pretty good considering the moon and cloud influences. However, we've already determined another one worth trying - off the deck looking to the north.


It was an awesome trip and I have more than a handful of photos and stories to share.

No comments: