Thursday, March 5, 2009

History of Hopkins


No, I have not quit the blog. Though it may seem that way I've just been very busy traveling. My latest adventure has been visiting the Johns Hopkins Hopital in Baltimore, Maryland. Johns Hopkins' architecture is the topic of my fellowship study at work. The goal of my study is to understand the progression of the medical campus and architecture over the last 120 years. Johns Hopkins Hospital opened its doors in 1889, and the building in this photo is the original hospital entry; now known as the Billings Administration Building. This remained the entry until 1979. The dome over the entry is the most iconic piece of Hopkins architecture, in fact, the Johns Hopkins Medicine logo is the dome. To me the growth of a healthcare campus is facinating. The architecture doesn't just grow for the sake of growing, there are always organizational, medicinal, or technological reasons for the growth. It's a story I enjoy discovering.


And for those of you paying attention, yes I did swap out the photo. I think the current one is a bit better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you were doing that for your fellowship. That's AWESOME.
I have always thought about that, especially because MOST of the projects I've been in have been in fact expansions or renovations to an old historic hospital.

Good luck!
A.I.