Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Number two pencils


I love number two pencils. You know, the classic-needs-to-be-sharpened-all-the-time pencil. In elementary school we used these guys all the time. I remember having smudge marks on the sides of my palms at the end of the day. I remember the anxiety associated with the saying "make sure you have a number two pencil for the test." I remember knowing what wall the sharpener was attached to in every room I had class in. And, it was a big deal when we transitioned from the old-school manual lever sharpener to the electronic sharpener. I still love the manual version best, it was much more graceful and not such a noisy nuisance.


So I keep a handful of number twos at my desk at home because I love their classic look. Every now and then when I go to grab a piece of mail I'll brush them and knock them around. They'll make that old familar rattle and I'll do a quick flashback 4th grade.

No comments: