Thursday, October 2, 2008

We the people


Yesterday I went to College Station. It was a quick day trip to make a presentation. I took my usual route down Interstate 35 through Waco to Highway 6. I started taking this route in graduate school instead of my old faithful I-45 route. I changed my route because going down 35 to 6 was so much more interesting, mostly because I got to pass through Calvert and Hearne. Calvert and Hearne are two little towns that got left behind a long time ago. They both have the main street that you have to slow down on when driving through. Old brick buildings of stores and businesses line the street. Some are open, some aren't.


And there's this one wall at the south end of Calvert's main street that I have always loved. The we-the-people wall. Everytime over the last two years as I drove by it I thought, I'd really like to photograph that wall. Well, usually I would drive past and say to myself, "next time I'll stop and get my camera out". Yesterday was my last "next time" for a while, no telling how long. So I stopped and got a portrait of my wall.


We the people here on main street. It's nostalgic and hopeful.

No comments: