Monday, April 6, 2009

Baseball, apple pies, and NASCAR


There are few things more American than going to a NASCAR race, which I did on Saturday. It was a completely unique experience and overwhelming too. The cars almost make you dizzy as they bolt by, you can smell the gas, you can most certainly hear the zing as the pack makes its way past the grandstands, and you feel the rumble. And if that's not enough to keep you entertained, you can bring your own beer.


The race we went to was the Oreilly 300 at Texas Motor Speedway. 200 laps equals 300 miles. Our seats were directly over the start finish line, about 30 rows up, just high enough to see the cars around the entire track. This is Dale Earnhardt Jr. in car 88. Everybody loves him. I saw more "Dale Jr." jerseys than I could count at the speedway. I took this photo with a my fastest shutter speed, because if I didn't they were only a blur.


I think everyone should go to NASCAR once, but bring your ear protection, you'll need it.

No comments: