Tuesday, April 21, 2009

For the children


I enjoy this photograph for many reasons. One is, when I look at it I am reminded of how lucky I am to be doing what I am doing. So, you are probably wondering, what are we looking at? This is a photograph of the mocked-up ICU patient room for the children's hospital I am on at work. The three folks in this photograph are the heads of pediatric ICU, the cardiovascular ICU, and respiratory therapy. They were discussing, as is the point of the mock up, the best location for various elements of the rooms; i.e. the location of medical gases, brackets, monitors, etc. Somewhere in the discussion someone would always say, and I don't think they realized how often they said it, but someone would go, "but these kids, they are really sick." Every debate and decision they had about how things should be in the room or their units was always about the kids.


So, when I look at this photo I'm reminded of what a great thing I am getting the chance to be a part of, even if it is only in an indirect way.

No comments: