Thursday, April 17, 2008

East Texas beautiful


With two weeks remaining on my Masters final study project, now might be a good time to share with you my beautiful project site. I was lucky enough to acquire permission from CHRISTUS St. Michael Health System in Texarkana, TX to use their campus for my project. As many may know I am designing a heart hospital. The natural context for my hospital could not better. This is a photograph that I took last semester. October I believe. Mom and I drove out to Texarkana one Saturday. We must have left at 5AM. Which I am so glad we did. I was a bit early for my meeting so we were able to walk around the trails on campus for a while. The sun was still on the rise, so the shadow through the pines were long. It was quite wonderful.


This portion of the site is located right next to the main hospital, but my section of the campus is very similar. Tall pines everywhere. In my design I have called for a trail system that meets back up with the main campus trails. It's unforunate that this project is hypothetical, but maybe St. Michael will be able to use my plan when they develop that parcel in the future.


So when final study is bogging me down and stressing me out, I try to think back to this photograph. It will probably be very rare in my career that I have the opportunity to work with such a wonderful piece of land!

No comments: