Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tire tube summer


I spent last summer in Seattle, Washington. Though the whole summer was a bit of a vacation in itself we decided to plan a getaway trip even still. We took off for Lake Chelan, Washington in July. Kate's bosses' designed a house off the lake and told us we were welcome to use it any weekend that they weren't. So, we found a good weekend and the roomies packed up and headed to the lake. We got up there and it looked just right. Little kids in floaties frocklicking about, ski boats dragging skiiers across the water, and teenagers chasing after a runaway frisbee. It was time to jump in. Well the Texas girl that I am didn't think about the fact that we were about two inches from Canada and the water might still be cold even though it was summer. After a frigid introduction to Lake Chelan, we managed to get used to the cold water and float around. Eventually though we just ended up laying on the lawn in our tubes. It was just as enjoyable and warmer. We'd also rented a fish-eye lens for the weekend. I was playing with it while we were on the lawn. Kate was resting on her tube. I set up the shot quick without waking her, got her attention and then snapped it. It looks as if it's a nude shot, which I think is kind of cool. That just happened, Kate was actually in a bathing suit. But, because of this I think the CS Lewis book is even more perfect in the foreground. Probably one of my favorite portraits of all time. Kate's boyfriend, Brian, thought so too. He was pretty quick to request his own copy! I'm a big fan of photographing people in "raw" moments. No posing. Just their personality shining through candidly. I think I got you, Kate.

No comments: