Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Starting a journey


This photo is from Costa Rica. Several times while in Arenal we saw this little fellow riding his horse up and down the main road. Very calmly he would coast up the road on his daily journey somewhere. He seemed to know where he was going, at least from our perspective. He didn't rush, he knew he would get there in good time. I don't know if you can see it, but the back of his t-shirt says "lost". I bit of irony there I think.


I love journeys. All journeys, big and small. But, what I really love about some of life's grander journeys is they start with fire and determination, are fulfilled with strength and discipline and finish with accomplishment and reflection. Journeys aren't always clear either, sometimes we have to find our way through them. I think a fortune cookie I got yesterday said it best, "You don't have to know where you are going to be headed in the right direction."


The exploration may very well be the best part of the journey. You're never lost. Just en route.

No comments: