Friday, May 30, 2008

Welcome to the jungle


While in Costa Rica we visited the rainforest (or the jungle*, if you want to call it that). It was amazing. We didn't exactly go trapzing through the jungle as one might imagine; there was a trail there that made hiking through it a bit more managable. This trail actually led us to the La Fortuna waterfall. I'm not sure, but I think "la fortuna" means fortune in spanish, which makes perfect sense, seeing as this area of Costa Rica has a gorgeous rainforest, an awesome waterfall and a volcano. I'd say that's some good natural fortune (minus the eruptions every 30 years or so).

I enjoy this photograph for two reasons. First, you really get a sense for how emmersed we were in the ecology, even being on the trail. The rainforest was truly awe-inspiring, on all scales. What's also great about this one is it catches Andrea being very "her". As I've said before, when it comes to portraits I enjoy catching people in "raw form", just as they would be if a camera wasn't around. Andrea knows more about nature and cherishes it more than anyone I know. Often when she is talking about a plant or what not, she touches it while she tries to remember its name or while she thinks about it. So, this one captured her in raw form for sure. One of my favorites from the trip.

*According to wikipedia (the internet's #1 source of possibly correct knowledge) a tropical rainforest is also known as a jungle.

1 comment:

John Dias said...

It's been a long time since college Spanish, but I'm thinking La Fortuna means "Good Luck" - or something similar.