Thursday, June 26, 2008

Gotta crawl before you walk


Meet Peyton. Peyton is my second cousin. I met him over Christmas during the tour-de-family. He was just learning how to crawl. It was so cute. First of all, he was center of attention on the floor and he knew it! Second, he couldn't actually crawl. He just hung there on the floor swaying forwards and backwards, waiting for the right moment to pick up his little hand and go forward. Finally he gave it a shot of sorts, but he just ended up face planting into the carpet. Poor Pey-ster wasn't so much a fan of that move. But, he kept trying a little bit. I never did see him crawl, but I'm sure he finally took the plunge and figured it out soon enough.


I feel like little Peyton right now in some ways. Despite what we were taught and learned in graduate school (which was outstanding) it wasn't even close to what I'm learning at work. I'm trying to take note of what all my experienced colleagues say and do each day. I'm sure I'll do a few face plants from time to time too. But, sometimes that's the best way to learn. It frusterates the hell out of you to the point you want to get it right so bad, and you want to get it right soon.


Peyton, you and me, we'll crawl together, buddy. Don't worry, we'll walk one day. [Word of advice to the photographers out there, make sure you have plenty of memory when you are photographing these little rugrats. You won't run out of good photo ops, trust me.]

No comments: