Thursday, June 19, 2008

Let me see!


This one goes way back to my days as a photographer and reporter at The Battalion (the Texas A&M student newspaper). I worked there over the summer and naturally news is slow in the summer. So as a solution we did features on different student organizations around campus. I was assigned to write and shoot about Project Sunshine, an organization dedicated to working with little kiddos and putting on different events for them.


This little kiddo is Quentin, who is one of the Project Sunshine regulars. Quentin will forever be a part of my memory. I met him and his mother at a public pool one afternoon to do the photo shoot. He was supposed to have swim lessons that night, but I remember the clouds rolling in and they were thinking about cancelling. Well that didn't stop Quentin from having fun. He was having such a great time with the photo shoot I don't think he even cared his swimming lesson was cancelled.


His smile was so great in every picture. I remember taking this photo then looking down at the digital screen to see how it turned out. Well, it was awesome, especially with his little hand placed on his face. I think Quentin could tell from the look on my face how good the photo was, so he gets up (which I don't even notice him doing) comes around my backside and puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "let me see!". The funny part is I had already put the camera back up to my face and he wasn't in the viewfinder. I was like, "where did he go?" I realized that kids these days don't know photography that isn't instant. They're completely unaware of film and the anticipation of getting it developed.


Well, he was the sweetest kid and for sure my favorite Battalion assignment.

No comments: